Q1: HOW CAN I CONTACT YOU?
You can contact us in whatever way is easiest for you! You can call us at (816) 769-3631, email us by clicking here, or check out our contact page form!
Q2: WHAT AREA OF KANSAS CITY DO YOU SERVICE?
Newman's Dog Training services the Kansas City area within 20 miles of the Plaza. If you are outside that range, please don't hesitate to reach out to us, we will try to help if possible! Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee we will service your rea. Dog walking and Pet Sitting services are limited to South of the Missouri River, North of highway 435, West of Highway 71 and East of Metcalf Ave.
Q3: WHAT KIND OF DOGS DO YOU WALK / TRAIN?
All ages, all breeds!
Q4: HOW OLD DOES MY PUPPY HAVE TO BE TO START TRAINING?
We suggest starting to train on day one when the dog comes home. It is easier to teach good behavior than to modify bad habits.
Q5: DO YOU HAVE PACKAGESAVAILABLE IF I WANT TO PURCHASE MORE THAN ONE ITEM?
We have training packages and walking packages - they are sold separately.
Q6: WHERE DO YOU SHOP FOR PET ITEMS? PET FOOD?
We love to shop local stores in Kansas City including Tail Waggin PetStop in Crossroads and Brookside Barkery. If we don't have time to stop at a store I use Amazon. Trader Joe's also has great affordable dog treats.
For pet food, we use Taste of the Wild for our dog!
There are so many options when it comes to dog food - the easiest things to look for and/or stay away from are as follows.
Things to look for:
• Specific meat meal, “chicken meal” “Lamb meal”
• Colorless food, just brown and boring
• Grain free is best. Grains are just fillers and not important in their nutritional needs. If you are going to have grains then all listed grains must be quality ingredients such as rice, barley, oats, etc.
• Check that all fat sources are specified. Look for chicken fat, olive oil, canola oil, flax oil, etc
Things to look for:
• “Meat meal”, We want to know what meat we are feeding them. Stay away from By-products. Gross, this is everything we can’t eat but is unregulated for dog food. EX: talons, feathers, bones.
• Food coloring. It isn’t good for us, it isn’t good for dogs.
• Stay away from dog foods that list excessive grains and fillers among the first few ingredients on the labels. e.g. ground whole corn, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten meal, soy bean meal, etc.
• Avoid dog food brands that contain non-specific fats, such as "meat fat", "poultry fat", "vegetable oil", lard, etc.
Q7: WHAT OTHER TIPS DO YOU HAVE?
• You should feed your puppy three scheduled meals per day and not leave food out. Meals should last 15 minutes or less. What comes in on schedule goes out on schedule!
• At six months of age it is appropriate to switch most puppies to adult food and go from three meals per day to two structured meals per day. Free feeding is not good idea at any point in your dog’s life. Scheduled meals provide structure.
Q1: HOW LONG ARE THE SESSIONS?
The initial training session will last about an hour. We will go over the issues you are having and come up with a training plan. The following sessions will be about 30 to 45 minutes. We will build on the previous session and go over any questions you have.
Q2: DOES MY DOG HAVE TO PARTICIPATE?
Sometimes no but most of the time yes. There are times when we can just discussed the issues and your dog doesn’t need to be present. For example with potty training I do not need to see the dog to help you manage this issue. I will be able to help you without the dog present. We can discuss these expectations as we book the appointments.
Q3: I HAVE MULTIPLE DOGS. HOW DO YOU CHARGE FOR THIS?
We won’t charge more for multiple dogs but since there will be more time needed to address all your needs you will most likely just have to buy more sessions. This isn’t mandatory but probably necessary.
Q4: WHAT ONLINE PROGRAMS DO YOU USE?
We can use Facetime or Skype. Our preferred method is through the Zoom app. If you have a favorite just let us know and we will try to accommodate.
Q5: WHAT FORMS OF PAYMENTS DO YOU ACCEPT?
There are a variety of online and credit card options for this. We also accept cash or checks.
I love the joy animals can bring into your life. There is nothing better than coming home to a wagging tail.